Monday, May 7, 2007

they go round and round and round

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 05/04/2007 | NASCAR sponsor to push for switch to ethanol fuel

I can't say I'm a big NASCAR fan. I will check in on a race on TV between commercials and intermissions of hockey games. I'll always be a Tony "Smoke" Steward fan even though I like Dodges better than Chevys. I've done my share of racing as well, been down the drag strip a time or two and road raced my Yamaha at Nelsons Ledgeds a few times in the past but like I said I can take racing or leave it.

This story caught my eye. I've always wondered how much gas one of those NASCAR racing cars burn and who pays for it, not to mention the how much pollution they cause.

Using ethanol could be a good thing. I wonder if corn eaters will reap any benefits or suffer in the end as racing switches over.

"WASHINGTON - One of NASCAR's top sponsors plans to file a formal petition asking that it join other racing leagues and start using ethanol to power its racecars.

The recommendation by General Motors Corp., planned for later this year, comes as NASCAR adjusts to using unleaded gasoline, decades behind the commercial marketplace.

GM sponsors 22 NASCAR vehicles under its Chevrolet nameplate, about half the vehicles that start any given race. It's been promoting more environmentally friendly fuel for months, and now it plans to proceed with an official presentation to NASCAR ownership."

No comments: