Monday, May 7, 2007

About Walls and More Walls


Holidays in the Sun - Sex Pistols
Right about now your probably wondering; where the heck is Wolf going with this rant and why does the title say About Walls ... and the video is Holiday in the Sun by of all people, The Sex Pistols?

First of all The Pistols are one of my favorite groups of all time. Find yourself a copy of "The Great Rock Swindle and listen to their version of "Road Runner" and Sid's outrageous "My Way. They really could rock.

Holiday In The Sun is about the Berlin Wall. Am I starting to make some sense now? Can you see where I'm going yet?

If you haven't noticed lately there are a lot of walls going up and not coming down. There is one between Israel and Palestine, one on the US and Mexican Border and one in Baghdad. I also look at nationalism as a wall. Please don't take me the wrong way when I talk about tearing down walls between countries, meaning the New World Order Kind where one group of people rule the world. I am so not with that. I'm talking about physical walls that keep people in or out as the case maybe.

To quote the lyrics of another song "Some Thing is Happening here and you don't know what it is? Do you Mr. Jones? Some of us can see and we don't like whats happening. You can divide some of the people with walls some of the time but you can't divide all the people all of the time. The Berlin wall proved that when people use to climb over or go under the wall.

Get it yet?

There is another kind of wall. The walls people put up to block things out. Pink Floyd's CD and DVD The Wall is a great example of this. The DVD is a double example of this because it is filmed at the Brandenburg Gate right after the wall was torn down as Rodger Waters and friends sing bout the personal walls he put up and then tears them down. If you've never watched the DVD your missing a great show on many levels.

As the cast of Wall at the end of the show start singing over and over while we watch the wall coming down "Tear down the wall" and as Johnny sings, I got to get over the wall, I got to go under the wall, maybe you'll start thinking of walls like I do, start tearing down your walls and start working on getting Governments to tear down their walls.


No comments: