Monday, May 7, 2007

Evil Thoughts and 3-D Printers

I was reading this story in the New York Times "Beam It Down From the Web,Scotty" when my head became filled with evil thoughts. The story is about 3-D printers becoming more accessible and cheap enough for home use. What is a 3-d printer you might ask?

"
Three-dimensional printers have been seen in industrial design shops for about a decade. They are used to test part designs for cars, airplanes and other products before they are sent to manufacturing."

Then I read "Bill Gross, chairman of IdeaLab, says the technology it has developed, which uses a halogen light bulb to melt nylon powder, will allow the price of the printers to fall to $1,000 in four years.

“We are Easy-Bake Ovening a 3-D model,” he said. “The really powerful thing about this idea is that the fundamental engineering allows us to make it for $300 in materials.”

When I read this part those evil thoughts started “You could go to Mattel.com, download Barbie, scan your Mom’s head, slap the head on Barbie and print it out.”

As a Pagan I have made many poppets ( some call them voodoo dolls) for myself and friends. Poppets can be used as long as you follow the Rede "Do What Thou Will And It Harm None" many Pagans have added "Unless It Be For Protection of Self, Family and Friends." The Poppets I have made in the past require cutting material, filling them with herbs and sewing them together. I made a real nice one once in the shape of a fish for a fisherman friend to help him catch "The Big One."

Can you understand my thought process now? There are many evil people in this world, right? Take the Bush Administration or a mean boss for example. You could scan a picture of them with one of these new fangled printers and have an instant Poppet. I will leave it to your own imagination what you might do with one of these high tech Poppits.

No comments: