Thursday, April 12, 2007

Lets Talk About Rap For A Few


The Last Poets - True Blues
I have been hearing a lot about Imus using the same words that Rappers use. Also been hearing that 1. All rap is bad. 2. All rap is racist and 3. Rap isn't music. I say, bullshit to all three. People who say things like that 1. Never have listened to a Rap song in their life 2. Using the term Racist to define rap is racist in itself 3. Never get the beat behind the rap. You would think someone my age (63) would never listen to rap music. Your wrong. I don't condone the use of words like bitches and ho's in some of todays music. I started listening to Rap when it was just starting. The Last Poets and Gil Scott Heron are some heavy hitting political dudes. No one, and I do mean NO ONE has been more outspoken in his music than Chuck D of Public Enemy. I am adding this Last Poets video to the blog to give you a taste of some great political rap. Gil Scott and PE have been posted earlier. If you have preconceived notions about rap try to listen with an opened mind. If you know what I'm talkin about, Right On Brothers and Sisters.

No comments: