Sunday, December 3, 2006

Riding The Lightning

I didn't hear Metallic's song of the same name till many years after I wrote this. This is a poem about Shock Treatment and this is why I am working to see that this treatment and others like it are outlawed.
_____________________________________________________________________

Rode the lightning back in
the spring of 87
Let me tell you
Brothers and Sisters
The shrinks promised me heaven
but in reality
it was a ride thru
HELL

Electric impulses that
jolted in my brain
took my mind
through passages of pain

My mind became clouded
with shadows
after they turned up the juice
I still wasn't there
in the recovery room
with the curtains all drawn
and me in my tomb

Fell outa bed
clutching my head
roommate ran for
a nurse
SCREAMING!!
He Ain't doing to good

11x750 volts
That means I got
quite a jolt
Took six months to recover
but I'm still not here
Was the fear and pain
worth the ride?
What have they done
to my brain?

No matter how hard I try
I still can't remember
and some pieces of my life
Have been lost
FOREVER!
The lightning to my mind for a ride
The shrinks promised me
it would help
THEY LIED!!!

No comments: