Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie ~ Bob Dylan


Dylan says it so well in this poem. I didn't have it easy when I was a kid. One of my escapes was music. I listened to a lot of Woody Guthrie songs back then. Read his books. Perhaps it's one of the reasons why I think outside the box. Some years later I ran into a guy that called himself John Brown who played and sung Woody songs when I moved to Greenwich Village with my trusty blues harp. He strummed and sung while I backed him up on my harp in Washington Square. Playing for nickels and dimes, sometimes dollars. We got a few gigs at the Back Fence but John left town in a hurry one day, never to be seen again. That was the end of my folk music career. A few weeks later my St. Marks Place Commune started a Blues Band but thats another story.
Check out this link for a great Woody Song, read the book and see the movie.
Grapes of Wrath - Tom Joad

Here is my favorite part of the movie

No comments: