Wednesday, July 18, 2007

And The Winner is!

Jerry Yang and 8.25 Million $$$$

Jerry Yang won the 2007 WSOP Main Event by playing a relentless aggressive style of poker from the call to shuffle up and deal at noon to the last hand of the heads up match with Tuan Lam after 4 am. Now he plans to take the $8.25 million he's won and start aggressively attacking the some of the ills of society.

What do you do for a living and will tomorrow be your last day on the job?

I am a psychologist and a social worker. I work with foster kids providing therapy and making sure they are being placed in a good home.

My plan when I go back home is to sit down with my boss, the owner of the company, and my gut feeling at this point is I think there are better purposes for me out there and I want to use the money to do some good. But I will be professional and I will give my two weeks notice. But my wife (a blackjack dealer) no more work for her.

We've heard your plan is to donate some of the money to charity right away. Any truth to this philanthropic rumor?

I will be donating ten per cent to the three following charities: The Make A Wish Foundation, Feed The Children and The Ronald MacDonald House.

I want to donate some of this money to help families ease some of their pain while they are going through the recovery process. Children mean a lot to me. I have six children of my own. When I was a child I was in a refugee camp and so I understand what it is to suffer physically, nutritionally. I used to have a big old stomach from lack of nutrition at the refugee camp in Thailand. I think children are our future and we should do whatever we can to help them.

No comments: