Monday, March 12, 2007

It really F#&kin BOTHERS ME


That the United States Government and The VA refuse to pay for Pagan/Wiccan head stones for my brothers and sisters that have served in the armed forces. This is a battle that has been going on for more than nine years now. Unknowing friends have asked me "Why are you complaining Wolf? Your going to be cremated when it's your time to go." There are some facts you should know about this issue:

1. The Government pays for thirty eight symbols of other beliefs and even Atheists and Humanists have markers (please don't take it personal if you are a member of those groups, just trying to make a point here). I have been a member of the AREN (Alternative Religions Education Network) e-mail list since they started it and was called the Witches Antidefamation League. AREN has been fighting this battle along with the folks at Witchvox and Circle Sanctuary's Lady Liberty League many years now.Please go to their sites for more info and updates.

2. The Wiccan and Pagan Beliefs are recognized by the US Government as religions. There is a chapter in the US Military Chaplin's handbook as well.

3. I believe one of the problems are that there is no main "church" or leader of the Pagan Paths. Thats too damm bad isn't it? A friend and I had this long chat about this over the phone one night. "Wouldn't be easier if you did have a leader or even a main church," he kept rambling. The answer to that is simple. Most other churches and beliefs have their traditions as well as Pagans. Why should we change ours just to conform and be like the others? Give up years of history just because so the government would do what it should do? I think not.

4. I ran into this one on Paltalk! I'm a Christian and I don't want to be buried next to a Satanic Symbol. First of all take a look at the Pentagram picture above. Do you see those symbols in each of the five points. Most Pentagrams don't have those symbols on them. I chose that picture to explain the symbolism. The Points represent Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit, nothing Satanic about that! Besides, I doubt that a Pagan would want to be buried in a Christian graveyard anyway.

I could go on and on about the misconceptions that many people have about Paganism that have been thrown at us down through history but I'll leave that for another rant. The ACLU has taken up our fight and hopefully Pagans Vets can have their headstones like everyone else.

No comments: