Thursday, November 30, 2006

SUITS

Dedicated to Pittsburgh's Homeless folks. I have been homeless a number of times in my life. During the 60's by choice and 80's by Ray-Gun. Remember that you might be one pay-check away from being homeless the next time you pass one of us on the street. In case you don't know me, I work for Operation Safety Net as a Homeless Out Reach Worker.
_____________________________________________________________________

Who are they?
These people in suits
are they as stable as me?
After all, I'm the one who is labeled

Do they ever stop to think
of anyone but themselves?
They work in towers of glass and iron
Eat serf and turf almost every nite
There is a darkness in their eyes
that reflects the smallness of their lives
Maybe, the way I look at suits is the way they look at me?

But I know I don't want to be a suit
I just can't act my age
and I know there's more to life
....Than a Wife
and ....a Red Power Tie

These people in towers of glass and iron
can never touch mother earth
Their heads are too damm high in the clouds
On the street you can get your moneys worth
You look at us like we are trash
You think that living on the street is one big bash
You say we are leaches on society
and have no sobriety
You do more coke and crack than
I've ever seen
You go to clinics to get sober
While I rot away in jail
The judge never gave me that chance
You might have to make it someday
When your towers all crumble
and your bosses will laugh
at your....RED POWER TIE
When your out on the street...Like Me

You could always use your RED POWER TIE
to wipe your lips, after eating your
only meal of the day
at the end of the Rainbow Soup Kitchen line
Your towers will crumble and fall
The future is never guaranteed
JUST BECAUSE YOU WEAR A SUIT

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a classic. Thanks for posting it.