Friday, June 15, 2007

Why The Government doesn't want you to See Sicko

                  


                                   

I just got done watching Michael Moore's new film Sicko. At times I watched with tears in my eyes as I remembered how my bro's wife and my friend Kathy died while waiting for an HMO to approve a treatment that would have saved her life. Other times I cheered as I saw people in every country that Mike visited get free health care. The only thing you hear from the right wing idiots about this film is that Mike Moore snuck in to Cuba with some loonies. The right wing idiots fail to tell you that these "So called" Loonies were 9 11 heroes who are now suffering from the effects of all that dust. I must admit that Mike did get a little over dramatic taking two boats of the 9 11 heroes to Gitmo and demanding that they get the same free treatment that the US Government gives the prisoners. I was amazed to see that the same inhaler that I use and cost $120 here cost 5 cents there.

The documentary takes us through the formation of our present health care system, thanks to Richard Nixon and his pals, the whole HMO insurance rip off denial of treatments to hospital dumping or refusing poor people. Mike travels the world and gives us a look at many other countries free health care systems, I won't spoil it for you by going into more details about the movie. It's a Must See. I only hope you get as mad as I have been for years at our messed up system of care and together maybe we can change the system.

I have been working in one capacity or another for many years with the homeless of my city. I work as a homeless out reach worker with doctors, nurses and med students, providing free health care to homeless folks where ever they may be. Doc Andy just got back from Vietnam and Cambodia. He's been all over the world. Doc Jim (who started OSN) is also a world traveler and has now started an international organization for Street Medicine. Doc Kelly goes back to Nam every year. Doc Kelly was there for the war and is one of those friendly Republicans that knows we need a national health care system here. Two of my favorite med students (the Twins) have been to Africa twice and plan on going back again.

The Time IS NOW for a National Health Care System!

No comments: