Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I hate the Pirates

I arrived in Pittsburgh in 1968 thanks to my Ex-wife. Prior to living here I had been a fan of the Cleveland Browns. Steeler fans please don't kill me cause I've been a member of Steeler Nation ever since I got here. The Pittsburgh Penguins came into being in 1968 and I've been a fan ever since. But don't ask me to become a Pirate fan. There might have been a chance if the Pirates lost to my Yankees in 1960 but they won. I'll always remember going to my first Pirate - Mets game at the brand new Three Rivers. My Ex-mother in law had box seats behind home plate, the game was close. I started cheering for the Mets (being an ex-New Yorker) and you'd would have thought I committed the ultimate sin, I was drenched with Iron City Beer from the Pirate fans that were sitting behind us. Yes, I have been to Pirate - Mets games since - I sit in the right field seats and watch my back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know me as a peaceful man but I have to ask in a loud and angry sounding voice "WHY CAN'T YOU LEARN TO RELAX AND LOVE THE PIRATES???"

You seem to be a reasonable and frequently rational human being in other respects. Besides, don't you know there are two kinds of people in the world? That's right, there are the Pirate fans and the barbarians from the north. (Didn't the ancient Romans have a similar problem?)

Maybe some Pirate fans heard we Pittsburghers are hospitable and thought that meant they should try to put people in the hospital!

Anyway, I hope you see the light and cheer for the buccos before overly eager fans try to convert you through baptism by beer again.

have a good one!

G